Friday 10 February 2017

Algerian activist threatens to go on hunger strike, over his persistent arrest in Kano

During a protest with his children, Kano-based Algerian human rights activist, Jamal Abdul Qadir, has decried persistent arrest by the security operatives in Kano, over alleged terrorism, DailyTrust reports.
He said: “If my human rights activism is unacceptable to the security agents in Nigeria, let them deport me back to my country otherwise I will embark on indefinite hunger strike on the 12th of this month.”
He said he has been living in the country for the past 25 years without record of any illegal act, saying for the past 3 years, that peace has eluded him as the security keep arresting him on charge of being a terrorist.
He added, “They know that I’m not a terrorist my only offence is that I do speak against human rights violations on both immigrants and citizens and I do report such violations to Amnesty International, that is why they are arresting me and raiding my house at night.”
He added that he was not living illegally in Nigeria, “I had to follow the legal procedure to live in this country and I married a Katsina woman and we are blessed with three children."
The human rights activist said his passport and all other documents were seized by the security, saying that was a violation of his rights. He further avers that in as much as human rights would be violated in the state, he would not keep mute.
“I will speak out against all forms of human rights violation even if the security will gun me down.”8

No comments:

Post a Comment