Sunday 13 November 2016

I married my boyfriend who infected me with HIV because I love him — Woman, 30

Talatu John (not real name), a postgraduate student of a university in the North, discovered that she was HIV positive, in June, 2016, five months to her wedding to Emmanuel, Punchng reports.
In an interview with a Punchng correspondent, amid sobs, Talatu said, “What pains me most is that my boyfriend had the virus but never told me. We were having unsafe sex regularly. I don’t know why he never told me despite the fact that he truly loves me."
Talatu and Emmanuel (pictured) met in 2014. She said, “Later, my sister, a nurse, told me she learnt that he (Emmanuel) is HIV positive and that I should search his room. She gave me the name of the drug he was using. But I never found any.
In order to be sure I was not already infected, I went for HIV/AIDS test and it showed that I was negative. That calmed my nerves. But early this year, I found out I was getting regularly sick. I was advised to go for HIV test.
The doctor then dropped the bombshell. I was devastated. So, in anger, I went to confront Emmanuel, but he denied. I started crying and he consoled me; we had already made arrangements for our wedding.
It was a day before we went for counselling at the church that he told me the truth. Sometimes, we quarrel over this and I used to call him the ‘devil.’ But he kept on consoling me.” Last week Saturday at a popular church in Lafia, Nasarawa State, they got married at a lavish ceremony.
The church consented to the wedding because both of them are HIV positive. Emmanuel said he was delighted and grateful to God for making his dream a reality and would have missed a lot in life if he had not met Talatu.
The wife said: "Although I have forgiven him and accepted my fate, sometimes I wish I never met him. My regret is that I will always be on drugs for the rest of my life. He even warned me not to tell my family about my status.
I wished that I remained a virgin. I also regret not using condoms while the courtship lasted. Sometimes, if you are in love, you will be fooled. I advise young ladies to be careful. I have learnt my lessons."

No comments:

Post a Comment