Wednesday 31 August 2016

Heathrow-bound United Airlines jet from Houston dropped 4,000 feet in seconds before emergency landing




Terrified passengers on a UK-bound transatlantic flight have described how they thought they would die as the plane suddenly 'dropped' up to 4,000ft.

The United Airlines Boeing 767-300 flying from Houston to Heathrow was diverted to Shannon Airport after 23 people were hurt by severe turbulence 300 miles south-west of Ireland.

The plane landed in Ireland at 4.55am and 12 people including three children and two crew were taken to University Hospital in Limerick. More were treated in the airport terminal. 'Each drop lasted a couple of seconds. There was a loud bang. That was when everybody got really scared.

'The worst part was during the second drop. It felt like a rollercoaster. The drops were that long. Everyone was screaming and crying'.

Js_anghera tweeted: 'My United Airlines flight from Houston to Heathrow has just plunged 4,000 feet above the Atlantic Ocean'.

The victims are said to have suffered lacerations, bruising and minor head injuries. A member of the crew is believed to have a fractured wrist.

Nottingham student Leslie Chi told friends on Facebook that she 'really thought I might die' as the plane dropped.

Conor Brady told MailOnline most people were asleep when the plane when the turbulence struck.

He said: 'All I remember is feeling my seat fall from beneath me and my back hitting the cabin roof, as I fell I managed to use my hands to block the blow of the chair in front.

No comments:

Post a Comment